Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The End (Again)



This picture was taken on the Thursday before Labor Day as the Rockaway ferry pulled into the dock at Riis Landing. I have one ride left on my forty-ride season ticket, and I meant to take it this morning but I overslept. Alternate-side parking rules were in effect, so, for the first time in months, I had to get dressed and dash out to move my car. I found a spot across the street, the last spot before the Stop sign, where the Eclair will be perilously vulnerable to large turning vehicles. I hope she will be O.K.

I have been resisting nostalgia over the passing of summer—resisting, in fact, the passing of summer. Why must it end? The ocean is warmer than it's been all season (though there are some jellyfish floating in it). The cats have completely settled in, and forgotten all about their city life. Norbert was on the Greek porch this morning, among the morning glories. Eventually it will get too cold to stay in the bungalow, which is unheated. Until then, the main reason to decamp to Manhattan is the brutal commute.

On the A train today, I had ample time to consider what to do about the car when I move back. I could park it on the street again. Or I could call the garage and ask if they can still give me the good deal they gave me last year. (It's hard to go back to the street once you've parked in a garage. It may be impossible.) Or I can work something out with my neighbors in Rockaway, who borrowed my car a few times over the summer: maybe they would park it in exchange for getting to use it occasionally. This seems like a good idea, but I run the risk of having them begin to think it is their car. Or of getting tickets.

5 comments:

Susan T. said...

I agree with you about summer, MJN. "Why must it end?" is right. I have not even used my new canoe that much. It turns out to be too heavy to lift by myself, and I haven't mastered the trailer launch into the water! Sheesh, it's a real challenge.

MJN/NYC said...

I would help you heft that canoe, Susan! But I've never paddled one and would probably tip us over. I will have to write about the hiatus in my own boating history ...

Dwight Allen said...

Hi, Mary--

Just took a look at your blog. Great stuff, great photos. Like that Tootsie Roll truck, the pics of the kitties, the pic of Dee and Dennis, the picture of the morning glory, all your good writing. Hope you solve the dilemma of where to overwinter the Honda. Keep up the good work. I will visit again.

Bye.--Dwight

Tricia Springstubb said...

Our city pool, my Rockaway, closed on Labor Day. It rained that afternoon, but the lifeguards let us keep on swimming, making it almost feel like a country swim hole. Since then I have been lumbering around feeling like a lung fish who made a big mistake.

mary grimm said...

My pool (the outdoor one) closed before Labor Day this year, which everyone hated.
I love fall, but it's the harbinger of (winter) doom.